Many years ago, I came across the recipe from which this one is based. Over the years I have made changes. Since being diagnosed with breast cancer I have made further changes, additions and deletions. It still tastes fantastic and remains one of the best soups I have ever tasted.
I like to make this soup the day before I serve it or earlier in the day which allows the flavors to mingle together. Just reheat slightly before serving.
This version contains garlic, onions, ginger and a couple different greens making it a healthy addition to a cancer fighting diet.
Chicken Stew, Asian Style
- 2 T. garbanzo bean flour
- 1/2 t. kosher salt or sea salt
- 1/2 t. hot chili pepper flakes
- 1/2 t. Chinese five spice
- 1 pound of boned, skinned chicken breasts
In a bowl, combine salt, chili pepper flakes, Chinese five spice and flour. Mix well.
Rinse chicken breasts, pat dry, and cut into 1/2-inch chunks. Add to flour mixture. Stir to coat.
- 2 T. coconut oil
- 6 medium garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 T. micro-planed fresh ginger
Heat coconut oil over medium heat in a large soup pot (4-5 quart pot). Add the chicken mixture, sliced garlic and ginger. Stir to mix well. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until the chicken is cooked on the outside (it will be white) but still pink in the center, about 3-5 minutes.
- 4 cups filtered water
- 2 Rapunzel Vegetable Bouillon Cubes with Herbs
- 1/2 t. Cindy’s Herb and Spice Blend
Bring water to a boil. Place bouillon cubes in the bottom of a 4-cup measuring cup. Pour 4 cups boiling water over the cubes. Stir to dissolve. Pour over the chicken mixture.
- 1-13.5 oz. can of coconut milk
- 3/4 c. green onions, thinly sliced (white and green portions)
Add the coconut milk and onions to soup. Stir. Bring to a simmer. Adjust heat to maintain the simmer. Cover and simmer 5 minutes more.
- 1-8 oz. can sliced water chestnuts, cross sliced
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves (approximately 4 ounces)
- 4 baby bok choy, or one large mature, sliced leaves and stems
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 2 T. lime juice
Stir in water chestnuts, spinach, bok choy, tomatoes and lime juice. Cook, stirring frequently until spinach leaves are wilted – about 3-5 minutes.
- 4 T. chopped cilantro
Sprinkle with cilantro before serving.